Friday, February 3, 2012

Does your child have a scary imagination maybe from violent video games?

Every once in a while, my 7yr old son will get a thought into his head that he can't get out. They are always bad thoughts. He'll imagine someone hurting him and me not helping, or someone hurting me and him not being able to do anything about it. It almost always has something to do with somebody getting hurt. Lastnight he was playing spiderman on playstation and then came up to my room crying. He said he couldn't stop thinking about somebody hurting him and me just watching them do it. WHY would he think these things. I have assured him over and over again that mommy would NEVER let anyone hurt him. I asked him if bad people were doing bad things on spiderman, and he said yes. Well I told him that that was why he probably started thinking about it. He said NO. Has anyone had this problem with children and video games. Should I take him to see somebody. I don't know what to do. My husband thinks its normal, but sometimes its out control. Any advise would be great...Thanks!Does your child have a scary imagination maybe from violent video games?
tell him to stop playing his playstation. just do it i know its harsh
Computer games and playstation games are responsible for a lot of these problems kids have, be careful as well as to what he is watching on television.Does your child have a scary imagination maybe from violent video games?
It sounds to me like this child is not reacting to the video game but to the tension between you and your husband about discipline. You need to him that not even you can save his butt if Daddy is punishing him. Back your husband up. As he should do for you also. At 7 he knows exactly how to manipulate you - "Oh Mommy im soo scared" creates an instant response from you "Oh baby I'll always be there to save you" - no you cant always be there and he knows it.



You should tell him that while you will always be there for him sometimes in life he will need to stand on his own two feet.Does your child have a scary imagination maybe from violent video games?
get rid of the games
It has nothing to do with the games(that is just and easy excuse). He is pining you and your husband against other and since you are more passive you are his target, sort of speak. The problem is you and your husband's issue.I suggest therapy for all three. You and your husband for the discipline and your son for trust issues.
These could be what psychs refer to as "intrusive thoughts", they can be a symptom of a much more challenging diagnosis. My personal diagnosis is OCD and I have intrusive thoughts. I'm now 30 and I fully understand that they are things that aren't very likely to happen and i try to focus on statistics to avoid getting over anxious and passing out from them. You should see a counselor, let them sort this out. I do think the video games give them more "ammo" for these thoughts. I mean, if they haven't ever seen a gun in any form, they wouldn't think of being shot, right?
im a teen and i get scary images stuck to my head for days... keep him away from it... it could end up effecting his relacionship with u
my sis 7 year old dose the same thing he loves to play wor games but we dont let him any more coz he gets way out of controle so i we give him diffrent thinkgs to think bout when he starts on any thing like guns of fighting we change things like no vilent moves of shows and manly games and some cartoons had to go to but he still dose it but not nearly as much as he was its going to take soem time and just try to have him think of some thing diffrent but if he is saying that some one is hirtign u and him then mabe he has seen some one get hit in real life u can take him to a doc and see what they say
Video games get a bad wrap by people who don't know anything about them. I don't think they're as bad as the ignorant crowd says they are but your case seems slightly different. Even , if he's upset about it, I'd say lay of the playstation for a bit. Or maybe you could let him play happy games that don't involve violence. They are out there.
I have the same problems sometimes. Tell your son to think about something that is good and not violent in any way.
  • hand lotion
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment